Association Google Group
Click on the Google Groups link to read the:
Board of Director Minutes
List of Directors and Committee Chairs
(you must be a member in good standing to have access to
this member's only area)
President of Saltbox Association Inc.
PO Box 553
South Yarmouth, MA 02664
A baroness came, and so did a
countess, in the heyday of Yarmouth's Salt Boxes
By Bainbridge Crist (Reprinted from The Register -
December 21, 1978
In the summer, during World War II years, and old
beach wagon, with some of its doors tied with ropes, would meet the New
York train at Hyannis on weekends, competing with a shiny wagon with a
uniformed driver from the Hotel Belmont. Driving the wagon was a lady who
would call out, "Salt Boxes." This was Mrs. Ruth Boardman, who
would drive to the station with her small daughter Jane, now Mrs. Julius
G. Teglas of 27 Salt Box Lane, South Yarmouth.
Mrs. Teglas said her mother was embarrassed about
the wagon, but it was impossible to replace it during the war. The back
doors wouldn't work, so the passengers had to climb over the back seat!
Nobody seemed to mind.
The Salt Boxes were a unique development of rental
cottages along Bass River, which eventually attracted summer visitors from
far and wide, including many European refugees from the holocaust of World
War II. Among those who stayed there were a Bavarian baroness, a Swedish
countess, the son of a former German chancellor, and a famous
German-American artist and cartoonist.
The Salt Boxes were two room cottages of
contemporary design, with a fireplace in each room and a bathroom. Summer
visitors could rent one room or they could use the cottage as a duplex.
They are now gone and in their place are some 30 or more contemporary
homes amid tall pines in a community that represents the dream of three
sisters- Mari and Lillian E. Kenrick and the late Mrs. Boardman, widow of
the famous flyer Russell Boardman. Mrs. Boardman died in 1970.
Mari Kenrick says people used to ask how the Salt
Boxes got their name. She explained that they looked like boxes and the
word salt was inspired by the old barn on the property, which was built of
timbers taken from salt works that used to operate further down the river.
So the two words were combined.
The story starts in New Hampshire, where Lillian
Kenrick used to visit Sugar Hill. She was advised by the woman who ran the
hotel that money could be made in renting rooms and suggested a cottage
development. It was here, too, that Otto Kley, Jr., who was to play a
prominent role in the Salt Boxes and who now lives in the community, met
Lillian Kenrick, and friend of his late wife.
Lillian, an artist and interior decorator who had
studied with artist John Whorf, and Kley, and innovative, well-known
architect, decided to combine their talents to create a little cottage
community of unique style. The Salt Box land, known at one time as the
Willis Hall farm, covered some 36 acres, and had been purchased by Russell
Boardman, who had hoped to open an air school there. Boardman had been
decorated after making a record-setting, long-distance, non-stop flight of
5,011 miles from New York to Turkey with John Polando in 49 hours and 20
minutes in July, 1931. He was killed two years later in the Bendix
transcontinental air race, but Polando still lives in Sandwich.
Ruth Boardman inherited the land. It was a valuable
piece of property surrounded on two sides by the Bass River Golf Course,
and with a 1000-foot frontage along the river, with a beach and two
Mrs. Boardman took over the old farmhouse which had
a leaky roof, fixed it up, and then rented it to pay the taxes on the
land. She sold her husband's plane, "Cape Cod" in which he made
his historic flight to Turkey. Mari and Lillian Kenrick wanted a place for
their invalid father. So Mari purchased the old Bass River Post Office for
$125, had it flaked and moved to a plot near the golf course.
In 1937 the decision was made to go ahead with the
development of the rental cottages. At this time, Kley, who attended the
Harvard Graduate School of Design, was with the National Park Service.
Kley and an architect friend of his, David Fried, also in the Park
Service, teamed up to design the Salt Boxes by "moonlighting"
without a fee. Kley used to come to the Cape on weekends and holidays.
After they left the Park Service, Fried and Kley had an office on Newbury
Street in Boston.
The Kenricks and Mrs. Boardman pooled their
resources and managed to get a loan from a local bank. Six cottages were
built. They were constructed on a cement slab with composition board.
Large 8 x 16-foot panels were used inside and out. A few years ago they
cost and average of $1,000 each to tear down, which is just about what
they cost unfurnished when built.
The plan on the Kenricks and Mrs. Boardman was to
rent rooms and then, when they became older, to gradually sell the land
for the development of a controlled community. It is controlled in the
sense that home designs must be approved- and the designs must be
contemporary rather than tradition Cape Cod.
The Salt Boxes were opened in 1938. The war and the
gasoline shortage forced one major change in the plans: the sisters not
only rented rooms, but had to open a restaurant in the farmhouse. Visitors
who came by train had no means- other than walking miles- to reach
restaurants. So they started serving meals, with their mother, Mrs. Marie
S. Kenrick, making blueberry and apple cinnamon muffins for breakfast.
College boys waited on the tables.
The Salt Boxes advertised, among other places, in
the New York Times and Herald Tribune and the Saturday Review of
Literature. In time the guest book included names as far away as
California and, of course, the European refugees.
One of the guests was a representative of Duncan
Hines, who recommended its inclusion in the Hines list of approved places
to stay. This listing proved valuable. One of the foreign refugees was
Mrs. George Richter, known as "Aly" Richter, who came with her
daughter "Gigi". They now both live in England and still
correspond with the Kenricks. She was a Bavarian baroness and the widow of
an art historian who was a friend, among others, of Bernard Berenson, the
famous authority on Italian paintings.
One day, say the Kenricks, Mrs. Richter came from
her cottage in high-heeled shoes, a pretty dress and parasol, exclaiming:
"I love its luxurious primitivity." Mrs. Richter used to chat
with the clam diggers along that part of the river. Accustomed to the
German spas with mud baths, she would suggest that they could make money
with the mud. From a photograph of those days, Mrs. Richter was a striking
blonde. One day, according to the Kenricks, a clam digger fell overboard
from his skiff when he saw her in a black satin bathing suit. One of her
friends who also stayed at the Salt Boxes was a Swedish countess, married
to a German broker.
Probably the most famous visitor was George Grosz,
the German-American painted, printmaker and cartoonist, who came with his
wife Eva. Born in Berlin in 1893, Grosz studied at the Dresden Academy of
Fine Arts, the Berlin Arts and Crafts School and in Parish. His works are
in museums, both here and abroad, including the Art Institute of Chicago,
the New York Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of New York, the
Wichita Art Museum and the Stuttgart State Gallery.
Distressed with the political situation in Germany,
Grosz came to this country in 1932, settling in New York. He was awarded a
Guggenheim Fellowship in 1937 and won the Carnegie International prize in
His cartoons on the ruling classes and the military
were hardly flattering. In the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Art
(1969), Grosz is credited with having contributed "significantly to
the finer traditions of social realism of this century…"
In the late 1930's, Grosz painted a good many New
England landscapes. When he visited the Salt Boxes he liked to sit under
trees, eat salami and, say the Kenricks, hang melons "on the pines as
if they were growing." Another German visitor was Joachim Stresemann,
the son of Gustav Stresemann, who serves as a chancellor and foreign
minister in the Weimar Republic after World War I. Young Stresemann, whose
father died in 1929, worked for a New York bank.
One visitor the Kenricks remember well is the late
English actress Gertrude Lawrence, who used to visit friends who stayed at
the Salt Boxes. Another guest with a well-known name was Mrs. II. Edward
Manville, whose daughter Estelle was married to Count Bernadotte of
Sweden, who was assassinated by Jewish terrorists in Palestine in 1948
while serving as a United Nations mediator; Mrs. Manville's husband was at
one time president and board chairman of Johns-Manville Corp.
The story of Kenricks is this: Either one or both of
the count's sons were at a boy's camp of High Bank Road, just a short
distance from the Salt Boxes. Mrs. Manville flew in by private plane and
stayed at the Salt Boxes for almost a week. During her stay the handyman
at the Salt Boxes drover her around so that she could run errands, such as
outfitting the boy or boys in Hyannis. Mrs. Manville instructed her
grandson (or sons) to continue court manners when eating at the farmhouse,
which the Kenricks regarded "as sort of ridiculous." At the end
of her stay, Mrs. Manville went to Hyannis and departed on a large yacht.
Whether this was the Manville's "Hi Esmaro," a magnificent
272-foot yacht with clipper bow, is not known. It could have anchored off
the harbor and sent in a launch, but this is pure speculation. One of the
great luxury yachts of that era, she cost $1,500,000 to build, was sold to
the Navy for $150,000, and sunk by the Japanese in 1943 off the Solomons.
One more guest deserves mention. He was a
Massachusetts manufacturer who became a good friend of the sisters. One
day a man called from Boston to inquire if there was room at Salt Boxes
for a gentleman who wanted to go duck hunting. The guest turned out to be
Gifford K. Simonds, president and general manager of Sidmonds Saw and
Steel Co. of Fitchburg. Sidmonds, who died in 1941, had served briefly as
president of the Waltham Watch Co., Hunter Arms Co., and for five years
was head of Marschalk & Pratt advertising agency in New York. He likes
the Salt Boxes and wanted to buy the property but, of course, Mrs.
Boardman declined. He did, however, lend $1,500 to raise the roof of the
farmhouse in order to make space for two bedrooms and a bath. The addition
was designed by Mr. Fried. This loan was repaid, but in the case of
another $300 loan Mr. Sidmonds cancelled the note and returned it.
The next summer he came and invited the sisters to
lunch on his yacht in Hyannis. Mari Kenrick says Sidmonds liked to talk
about his life. He was born to wealth, but as a young man, she relates, he
traveled with little money. He would cut wood or do other chores to get a
meal. The barn near the farmhouse, visible from the river through the
pines, served as both an office and social center for dancing, ping-pong
or putting on shows. Before bringing the story of the Salt Boxes up to
date, it should be mentioned that Mrs. Boardman took a great fancy to the
"Gingerbread House" on Rt. 6A, now the Greek Restaurant Myconos,
and bought it after the war with a good deal of land. She cut through a
road, Gingerbread Lane, and subdivided the property. With the ending of
the war the decision was made to revert to the original plan of merely
renting cottages, and the restaurant was closed. It would have been
possible, the Kenricks say, to have built a condominium or to have
obtained a liquor license, but they did not wish that type of development,
nor the large number of people or cars it would bring.
They realized that they would lose many of their old
guests, and obviously, too, the refugee era was over. But, as they
thought, new guests appeared, and the rental of cottages continued until
1968, making a span of 30 years. Some people who spent their honeymoon
there have come back to visit their grandchildren. In the post-war period
kitchenettes were added, as well as additional rental units. One of the
later brochures listed several Salt Box duplexes and eight cottages and
houses, with prices ranging from $115 a week for two people to a house for
six at $315 a week. In the late 1940's the first land was sold for the
Buyers were guaranteed the use of waterfront and
protection from "encroachment of speculative commercialism."
Kley acted as an agent for the subdivision, and Mari Kenrick credits him
with playing the central role in planning the area. Probably all of the
houses deserve mention, but there are at least two that are especially
noteworthy. One house, which has been greatly enlarged, was made
originally by combining the boys and girls outhouses of the Yarmouth Port
School! Mari Kenrick says she purchased them for $110 at an auction.
Also in the late 1940's a house designed for the
community by David Fried won a House and Garden magazine prize. Called
"Holiday House," it was advertised for $9,800 and included a
pine-paneled living room with the fireplace, two twin-sized bedrooms,
separate stall shower and water closet, dining patio, kitchen and carport.
The development is run by the Salt Box Association, a voluntary group with
officers and a board of directors. The family membership at a nominal fee
of less than $100 a year goes toward maintaining the beach, the two docks
and the roads. About seven sites are still left.
Until 1970, Lillian Kenrick maintained a Boston
office for her interior decoration work, and one of her last assignments
was the Oyster Harbors Club. She worked for eight years in New York. (R.H.
Macy and Bloomingdale's) before establishing her Boston office.
Mari Kenrick, a frequent contributor to the
letter-to-the-editor columns of local newspapers on political and economic
subjects, invented a metal cord wood crib, called the "Cape Cod Wood
Crib," with indoor and outdoor sizes. It was patented and
manufactured in Boston, but the patent has since expired. Mari and Lillian
Kenrick now live in the old farmhouse, a few hundred feet from the Salt
Box barn near the river. They are surrounded by mementos of the past-
pictures of the cottages and some of the guests; guest registers, and
models of the plane Boardman flew to Turkey in and one in which he was
killed. Looking back over the past 40 years, Mari Kenrick says simply,
"We have achieved what we wanted." And her sister agrees.
Russell Boardman Dies in Indianapolis Crashed
Saturday in East-West Air Race
Body to be Sent Here - Turkey Flight Brought Him
Fame (Reprinted from Boston Herald, Tuesday, July 4, 1933)
Indianapolis, July 3 (AP) - The adventurous career
of Russell Boardman, 35-year-old Boston and Springfield, Mass., aviator
and sportsman, was terminated today by death. Injuries suffered Saturday
while streaking down the runway of the municipal airport here caused his
death. He had landed to refuel while racing across country in the New York
to Los Angeles air derby.
During the take-off in resumption of his westward
flight a cross wind caught his tiny ship and sent it spinning out of
control. Never Became Conscious Boardman, dragged beneath the craft as it
struck the ground, wheels up, suffered a fractured skull and a punctured
lung. He never regained consciousness.
For nearly 48 hours, however, a spark of life
remained, giving his wife an opportunity to reach here from Providence,
and his brother, Earl, time to come home from Albuquerque, N.M. Both
hurried here by air. The brother was with him when he died. Mrs. Boardman,
worn by anxiety and a long vigil, had left a few minutes before when
physicians advised that she obtain some rest. Grief-stricken she left for
Boston this afternoon by airplane to await the arrival of her husband's
Flight to Turkey Boardman, who had distinguished
himself by a non-stop flight from New York to Istanbul, Turkey, in 1931,
in company with John Polando, was counted one of the country's leading
pilots. He had narrowly escaped death several times during his daring
career. Shortly after becoming a pilot his plane was wrecked during a
take-off at Cottonwood, Ariz., and last summer at Springfield, Mass., he
was in a ship that went spinning down from a height of 1,000 feet, landing
in a clump of trees.
In the latter accident he suffered injuries from
which he was several months recuperating. Boardman was born in Westfield,
Ct. Besides the widow and brother, he is survived by a daughter, Jane, 5,
and three sisters, Mrs. Clara McCurdy of Providence, Miss Alice Boardman
of Mattapoisett, Mass., and Mrs. Stuart Grummon of Washington.